For those who are not familiar with special needs children or adults, it is often difficult to truly understand the road they travel. Disability simulation activities give the participant a chance to “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.” However, please note that these exercises will only give the participant a brief glimpse at one generalized aspect of any given struggle.
The following is an activity to glimpse the world of Orthopedic Impairment.
Try to do the following with only one hand or with one hand while the other is in a bulky oven mitt:
- Tie your shoes
- Use a can opener to open a can
- Write or cut without holding on to the paper
- Floss and brush your teeth
Try to do the following while sitting in a borrowed wheelchair or a chair with casters without using your feet:
- Get through the doorway to get outside the house
- Go to the bathroom
- Get a plate or glass from an upper cabinet
- Dress or undress
- Firstly, what problems did you encounter?
- Secondly, how often did you feel helpless?
- Finally, how isolated were you from the rest of the mobile world?